This year's Christmas with Concordia broadcast is even more special than usual because it marks the last Christmas Concert conducted by Dr. René Clausen, who was a professor at the College for 34 years before retiring this past spring.
As part of this concert broadcast, Dr. Clausen talks to Andrea Blain about his background in music, his time at Concordia, his composing, the special teamwork that made the Christmas concerts work and his life since retiring. There are insights into his approach to arranging music and a look at what might be next for one of choral music's most prolific and active musicians.
As ever, the special sound of Concordia's choirs and orchestra shines brightly in this performance, recorded last December in Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis. Listen using the audio player above.
• Fantasia on In Dulci Jubilo (instrumental) René Clausen
• Canticle of the Turning Traditional Irish, arr. René Clausen
• Angels We Have Heard on High arr. René Clausen
• Wake, Awake for night is flying arr. F. Melius Christiansen
• On Jordan's Bank the Baptist's Cry arr. Michael Culloton
• While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks by Night Craig Courtney
• Silent Night arr. René Clausen
• Sing, Sing Noel arr. Mark Burrows
• Spirit of Gentleness text: James K. Manley, arr. René Clausen
• Sweet was the Song arr. René Clausen
• Hark the Herald Angels Sing arr. Michael Culloton
• Shepherds Sang Their Praises O'er Him Michael Praetorius
• In Dulci Jubilo arr. Matthew Culloton
• Come Thou Font of Every Blessing arr. René Clausen
• Praise to the Lord Traditional Hymn
ResourcesConcordia College (official site)
The Concordia Choir (official site)