Giving Thanks offers a contemporary celebration of gratitude, with classical music and stories of Thanksgiving.
Great American writers will grace us this Thanksgiving, 2019. Giving Thanks remembers poet Mary Oliver as she reads poems of gratitude and nature. Walt Whitman stops by to celebrate Thanksgiving and his 200th birthday, and we'll set a place at the table for New Yorker writer, best-selling author, humorist, and turkey aficionado Adam Gopnik.
• Traditional: We Gather Together Boston Pops
• Handel: Concerto Grosso "Alexander's Feast" English Chamber Orchestra
• Howard Cable: Seasons' Celebrations: Thanksgiving Day CBC Vancouver Orchestra
• Adam Gopnik on Turkey
• Poulenc: Novelette Vento Chiaro
• Poulenc: Rustic Intermezzo Sudwestfunk Orchestra
• Mary Oliver reads "Wild Geese"
• Gounod: Ave Maria Yo-Yo Ma, cello; Kathryn Stott, piano
• Walt Whitman: Song of Myself Read by Mark Benninghofen
• Traditional: Psalm of Life Jacqueline Schwab, piano
• Adam Gopnik on Thanksgiving poems
• Karl Jenkins: The Shepherd Polyphony
• Mary Oliver reads "Messenger"
• Mahler: Ging heut morgen ubers Feld Gustav Mahler, player piano roll
• Walt Whitman: Thanks in Old Age Read by Mark Benninghofen
• Schumann: Scenes from Childhood: Selections Vladimir Ashkenazy, piano
• Adam Gopnik on Children and Thanksgiving
• Handel: Dank sei Dir, Herr Philharmonia Virtuosi
• Walt Whitman: The Place Gratitude Fills in a Fine Character Read by Mark Benninghofen
• Mark Isham: October Sky Studio Orchestra
• Medley: What Wondrous Love/Come thy Fount of Every Blessing/For the Beauty of the Earth Jacqueline Schwab, piano
• Adam Gopnik The Table Comes First
• Telemann: Tafelmusik (selections) Musica Antiqua Cologne
• Mary Oliver reads "The Summer Day"
• Karl Jenkins: Benedictus Polyphony
• From Kerouac's "The Dharma Bums," Chartres Cathedral story; Psalm 104 Read by Charles Laughton
• Traditional, arr. Stephen Paulus: We Gather Together Dale Warland Singers