Classical MPR has announced the finalists in its seventh annual Minnesota Varsity classical music showcase for young musicians and composers!
Showcase Artist selected by audience vote:
• Madeline Sheard, cello, Maple Grove, Minn.
• Elizabeth Kleiber, flute, Hudson, Wisc.
To participate in Minnesota Varsity, musicians ages 14-18 from around the region were asked to submit a recording of themselves performing. Student composers (also ages 14-18) were invited to submit an original score for trumpet, cello, and piano (any combination of those or solo) between 3 and 7 minutes in length. For a fifth year, American Composers Forum (ACF) is a partner with MPR in the Composition category.
Our thanks to this year's Showcase Round judges:
• Kyung Kim, Associate Professor of Piano, University of Minnesota School of Music
• Joshua Koestenbaum, Associate Principal Cello, St. Paul Chamber Orchestra
• Jerry Rubino, Distinguished Conductor, Educator, Pianist, Singer, Choral Clinician
• Mary Sorlie, Violinist, Conductor of GTCYS Philharmonia Orchestra, Educator
• Alison Young, Classical MPR Host, Flute teacher and Clinician, former professional orchestral flutist and recitalist
The Minnesota Varsity Showcase Concert featuring these performers and the works of these composers takes place on Sunday, April 30, 2017. Admission is free and open to the public but a ticket is required. Tickets can be reserved by calling the Fitzgerald Theater Box Office at 651-290-1200, or by visiting the Fitzgerald Theater website.
Minnesota Varsity is supported by the generosity of these foundations and individuals: Kay and Gerry Erickson; Margaret H. and James E. Kelley Foundation; Andy Kiorpes and Farrel Rich; Stephen Otto; Ed and Jenni Ryan; Saunders Therapy Centers; Kay Savik and Joe Tashjian; Bob and Jean Spong; and the Irma Wyman Endowment for Classical Education.