"Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude."
Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote those words, and on this day of grace and thanks, who are the people and what are the things that you would include in your gratitude?
On this holiday, join Classical MPR's Valerie Kahler and Steve Seel as they take some time to give thanks and celebrate one of life's most meaningful gifts: music. It's "Every Good Thing" — an hour of stories and music to celebrate Thanksgiving.
Playlist• Karl Jenkins: The Armed Man: Benedictus Daniel Hope, violin; German Chamber Orchestra/Simon Halsey, conductor
• Jay Ungar: Ashokan Farewell Nashville Chamber Orchestra/Paul Gambill, conductor
• Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Clarinet Concerto: Movement II Sabine Meyer, clarinet; Dresden State Orchestra/Hans Vonk, conductor
• Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Marriage of Figaro: "Voi che sapete" Magdalena Kozena, mezzo-soprano; Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment/Simon Rattle, conductor
• Edward Elgar: Nimrod from Enigma Variations London Symphony Orchestra/Adrian Boult, conductor
• Jay Ungar: Thanksgiving Waltz Jay Ungar, fiddle
• Wolfgang Mozart: String Quartet No. 6 Hagen Quartet DG 431645
• Ralph Vaughan Williams: Six Studies in English Folk Song (two movements) Doris Lederer, viola
• Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 (Movement I) Minnesota Orchestra/Osmo Vanska, conductor
• Aaron Copland: Fanfare for the Common Man St. Louis Symphony Orchestra/Leonard Slatkin, conductor
• Pyotr Tchaikovsky: Waltz-Scherzo Julia Fischer, violin; Russian National Orchestra/Yakov Kreizberg, conductor
• Traditional: Shenandoah Lara Downes, piano
• Mark O'Connor: Butterfly's Day Out Mark O'Connor, violin
• Sergei Rachmaninoff: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini Stephen Hough, piano; Dallas Symphony Orchestra/Andrew Litton
• Aaron Copland: Simple Things Zuill Bailey, cello Steinway & Sons
• Aaron Copland: Variations on a Shaker Melody Philharmonia Virtuosi/Richard Kapp
• Ludovico Einaudi: I Giorni Daniel Hope, violin; German Chamber Orchestra, Berlin/Simon Halsey, conductor
• Eric Whitacre: This Marriage: Polyphony Stephen Layton, conductor
• Karl Jenkins: The Armed Man Benedictus Daniel Hope, violin; German Chamber Orchestra, Berlin/Simon Halsey, conductor