November's composer of the month is Hildegard von Bingen.
Died: Sept. 17, 1179
• Von Bingen was born the 10th child to a noble family. As was custom at the time, she was dedicated to the church at birth. She became a nun at age 18.
• She was known for having visions, claiming that she first saw "The Shade of the Living Light" at age three.
• Hildegard was incredibly prolific. In her life, she wrote nine books, 70 poems, 72 songs, and even a play.
• Von Bingen was sick for much of her life (it was believed she suffered from severe migraines), but she lived to the age of 81.
• She was formally declared a saint by Pope Benedict XVI in 2012. Her feast day is celebrated on Sept. 17.
Three important works:
• Laus Trinitati
• O viridissima virga
• O ignee spiritus
Audio Backpack playlist: Hildegard von Bingen