Northeast is booming as a culinary destination, with lots of new places opening in the last year or so — particularly, in the area around the Northrup King Building.
Northeast has a reputation for excellent casual global fare, from Mexican to Mediterranean. A few new casual spots in that vein:
• PinKU Japanese Street Food — sushi rolls, gyoza, and more.
• Bark and the Bite — a bbq truck that has a takeaway counter inside Sunny's Market and Deli.
For a more upscale "date night":
• The Draft Horse — located in the Food Building, serving locavore American fare.
• Costa Blanca Bistro — a Spanish tapas spot from chef Hector Ruiz, who owns several south Minneapolis restaurants.
• Young Joni — a gourmet pizza-meets-Asian share plates concept from Ann Kim of Pizzeria Lola fame. It also has a speakeasy-style craft cocktail bar in back. This hotspot has been drawing crowds from far beyond the immediate neighborhood.